Recipe: Delcado Avocado, Potato and Snowpea Salad
“A fresh take on the potato salad, perfect for weeknight dinners, BBQs and entertaining. Delcado avocados feature generously in this salad to provide a delicious balance to the potato and herbs. Their creamy, nutty flavour is the perfect contrast to the fresh fennel, punchy dressing and briny olives.” - chef Tom Walton.
Prep/cook time: 30 minutes
- 500g baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp salt
- 250g snow peas, trimmed
- ½ bulb fennel, finely sliced
- ½ cup green olives
- 2 Delcado avocados, cut into large wedges
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp seeded mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Handful snow pea tendrils
- Handful dill, picked
- Place the potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water and add 1 tbsp of salt. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for approx. 12-15 minutes or until just tender when pricked with a small knife. Drain and let cool slightly, then cut potatoes in half.
- Bring a medium pot of water to the boil and add 1 tbsp salt. Fill a bowl with ice water and place next to the pot. Add the snow peas to the boiling water and cook for 20 seconds, then transfer to the ice water and chill for 1 minute. Drain the snow peas well on paper towel and then slice the snow peas in half, on an angle.
- Combine the potato, snow peas, fennel and olive in a bowl with sliced Delcado avocados.
- Whisk together the red wine vinegar, lemon zest, mustard and olive oil and pour over the potato salad. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and gently toss to combine. Pile onto a platter, scattering with the snow pea tendrils and dill. Serve with fresh lemon cut into wedges to squeeze over finished salad.
Tip: Use Delcado avocados. These WA avos are slow grown and left to mature on the tree developing a richer, fuller flavour that adds a delicious depth and creaminess to the salad.