Easy chocolate recipes you need to satisfy your cravings
Mark your calendars! Wednesday the 7th of July is World Chocolate Day. Although we didn’t need any more excuses to eat chocolate, we’re about to give you some.
If you've got a sweet tooth, you won’t be able to look past these quick and easy recipes. And with the weather cooling down, what better way to celebrate World Chocolate Day than rolling your sleeves up and having some fun in the kitchen? Warning: mouth-watering goodness ahead.
First things first, it’s time to invest in a fondue set. Depending on how many you’re serving for, Kmart have plenty of options for you to choose from.
- 250g good quality milk or dark chocolate finely chopped
- 2/3 cup of thickened cream
Stock up on your favourite chocolate at <insert retailers i.e. Koko Black, Max Brenner, Haigh's, Lindt Cafe, Theobroma, Sweet As>.
Now, it’s on to the fun part! Everything tastes better smothered in chocolate. Load up on all your favourite fruits at New World and make sure you get your hands on other sweet treats like biscuits, churros, homemade cookies and marshmallows while you’re at it.
- Chop up your selection of chocolate into small 2cm pieces.
- Place the chocolate and thickened cream into your fondue bowl.
- Light the burner and slowly stir until the chocolate and thickened cream have combined into a smooth mixture.
- Cut your delicious dipping ingredients into bite-sized pieces and plate up.
- Start dipping, and enjoy!
S’mores hot chocolate
We’re all familiar with the quintessential hot chocolate, so why not shake things up with a delightfully indulgent version boasting S’MORES from @minimalistbaker? Straightforward and simple to make, it’s bound to get you feeling all kinds of happy. Curl up with a thick blanket, a book in hand or a good movie, and snuggle in for ultimate bliss as you enjoy each indulgent sip. You can also opt to add a shot of Kahlua or Bailey's, if you’re feeling a boozy hit (and for some extra warmth.)
Image credit: @minimalistbaker
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 480 ml milk
- 240 ml water
- 24 g cocoa powder
- 30 ml light chocolate syrup
- 25 g sugar
- 1/4 tsp non-bitter stevia (or add 1-2 tbsp more sugar to taste)
- 1 pinch salt
- Graham crackers (crushed for lining rim)
- 25 g marshmallows
- Preheat oven to low broil and move oven rack to the second from the top (high enough up to broil your marshmallows). Place baking sheet on rack.
- Heat milk and water in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed through - about 5 minutes. Be careful not to overheat or scald.
- Add cocoa powder, chocolate syrup, sugar, stevia and salt and whisk vigorously until thoroughly combined.
- Meanwhile, take a few marshmallows and rub them around the top of your mugs so the graham crackers will stick. Then, dip mug in graham cracker crumbs until well lined. You could also add some graham cracker crumbs to the bottom of your mug for extra graham flavour.
- Pour in hot chocolate and top with 1/4 cup marshmallows each. Carefully set mugs on the baking sheet in the oven and broil marshmallows until browned, watching carefully as to not let them burn.
- Carefully remove from the oven with a towel and serve with holders or a small towel to protect hand from heat (they should cool quickly for handling). Top with a drizzle of chocolate syrup and extra graham cracker crumbs for serving (optional).
Grab all of your ingredients in one easy shop from <insert retailer ie. Coles, Woolworths, Koko Black, Sweet As>.
Affogato chocolate mousse
Hosting a dinner party this weekend but don’t know what to serve up? @olivemagazine has an easy dessert recipe that’s perfect for you. All you need is 15 minutes to get your prep done, along with some time overnight to chill your mousse for the best results, and bam! You’re ready to serve up and impress all of your guests.
Image credit: @olivemagazine
Ingredients (Serves 4 to 6):
- Good quality espresso 100ml, plus extra shots to serve
- Ready-made fresh custard 300g
- Dark chocolate 150g, chopped
- Egg whites 3 large
- Light muscovado sugar 1 tbsp
- Cocoa powder for dusting
Put the espresso, custard and chopped chocolate in a pan and stir together over a gentle heat. When the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and scrape into a large mixing bowl to cool.
Once cool, use another mixing bowl and electric beaters to beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Add a pinch of salt and sugar and beat again for a minute until stiff.
Stir 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the custard mixture until no streaks remain, then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites with a large metal spoon. Try to keep in as much air as possible.
Divide between 4-6 small ramekins or pots, shaking gently to flatten the tops, then chill for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight. Dust with cocoa when you’re ready to serve – with extra shots of hot espresso on the side.
Grab top quality coffee beans to make those espresso shots from <insert retailer i.e. Nespresso, Woolworths, Coles, Aldi>.
Caramel, chocolate & pretzel crack
Always feeling peckish, or looking for a funky chocolate treat to snack on? This recipe from @woolworths_au could be right up your alley – the ideal balance of sweet and salty, with an added crunch. Share them with family and friends too, we’re certain they’ll get addicted to these, too!
Image credit: @woolworths_au
Ingredients (Serves 12):
- 85g traditional cracker squares
- 65g unsalted butter chopped
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Top ‘n’ Fill Caramel
- 200g dark chocolate melted
- 1 cup salted pretzel twists
- Grease an 18 x 28cm slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edges on long sides.
- Place crackers in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Melt butter and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until smooth and combined. Add to processor and process until combined. Using back of a metal spoon, press mixture over base of pan to compact. Freeze until required. Clean and dry saucepan.
- Place caramel in same small saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until thick. Spread caramel over cracker layer. Freeze for 10 minutes or until set.
- Spread chocolate over caramel layer. Scatter over pretzels. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until set. Cut into rough shards to resemble bark. Serve.
In need of a food processor? Grab one that’s both smooth and handy from Kmart, Farmers or Stevens.
Taste buds can't get enough?
Satisfy your cravings with our latest Westfield Plus member exclusive offers across dining and more. Download the free Westfield Plus App and unlock your exclusive member offers.