Glitter and glam: your party season makeup, sorted
The party season is well and truly upon us! And as the calendar fills up with end-of-year work celebrations, friends' Christmas parties, fammily dinners and New Year's Eve plans, it's time to start thinking about our look for all of these events. What will you wear? What can you do with your makeup? The last thing you want is to be running late to something you're really looking forward to, because you're too busy being completely stressed out.
To make this whole glam process just a little bit easier, I enlisted the help of makeup artist extraordinaire Steph, from MAC Cosmetics at Westfield Doncaster. She demonstrated one of her favourite festive looks on me, and then schooled me on the current beauty trends, her clutch must-haves and tips on super speedy makeup (that can be done from your desk).
The trends you need to know
According to Steph, there are three key trends that are taking over the beauty kit this festive season:
- Bronzed goddess! Think glowy skin, brown and orange shimmer shadows and highlighter everywhere.
- Glitter bomb! Sparkly eyes and metallics lips scream 'party' - and don't take long to do either.
- Colour pop! Put down the smoky eye and play around with bold colours on your lids and lips.
Clutch bag non-negotiables
Avoid cramming your entire makeup bag into your clutch, and invest in smart multi-use products that you can use for touch-ups throughout the night:
- Prep + Prime Fix+ Shimmer Spray. Hydrating and infused with a gleaming gold shimmer!
- Mishief Minx Palette. One palette that contains all your go-to party eyeshadows.
- Extra Dimension Skinfinish in Oh, Darling. For highlight you can see from space.
- Retro Matte Metallic Liquid Lip. Ditch the simple matte lipstick for a night and upgrade to glossy metallics.
Party season makeup tricks
If there's ever a time to experiment with your look, it's now! Steph dished on her top three tips that will not only help you to achieve a stand-out look, but also save you time when you're running out the door too.
- When doing your makeup, pick ONE feature to focus on. Your eyes or your lip?
- Choose your outfit first. This way, you can pull a colour from your ensemble, or choose a complementing shade, for your eyeshadow or lipstick to really make it pop.
- Only have five minutes flat to get ready? All you need is eyeliner, mascara and a bold lipstick to be party-ready.
Taking your makeup from day to night
You're working until 5pm, and expected to head straight for the office Christmas party. But what about your makeup, which has slowly disappeared from your face? No need for a full re-do - just follow along with Steph's guide for an instant refresh.
- Add concealer to any spots where makeup has come off
- Sweep a powder, like MAC Studio Fix Powder, over the whole face to even out your makeup
- Top up on some brozer. This will make you look alive again!
- If you were clever and primed your eyes before eyeshadow in the morning using the MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot, you shouldn't need too much of a refresh. Just quickly add a darker shadow in the creases for more of a night time feel!
- When it comes to your lips, you're better off starting again. Wipe off your lover lipstick and change into a deep shade or festive gloss.
My makeup look
I let Steph work her magic to create one of her favourite party season looks - a smoky mauve eye (no more black!) with a touch of copper glitter on the lids and a metallic lip.
MAC products we used
- Strobe Cream (like Berocca for the skin!)
- Lightful C Marine Bright Formula Softening Lotion Spray
- Studio Fix Fluid SPF15+
- Studio Fix 24-Hour Smooth Wear Concealer
- Studio Fix Powder
- Shiny Pretty Things Party Palette in Rose
- Prep + Prime Fix+ Shimmer in Goldlite
- Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Painterly
- Shiny Pretty Things Goody Bag in Smoky Eyes
- Dazzleshadow Liquid in Rayon Rays
- 36 Lash
- Prep + Prime Lip
- Retro Matte Metallic Liquid Lipcolour