Recipe: Cheesy onion and potato tray bake
With the right amount of crunch and ooey-gooey cheese, this is the no-fuss accompaniment to any meal.
Prep/cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Serves: 4 people as a side dish
- 3-4 brown onions
- 4-5 désirée potatoes
- Fresh thyme
- Dried oregano
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 300ml cream
- 1 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese (note: if preferred, tasty or cheddar cheese can be used instead of gruyere)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Thinly slice the onions and potatoes into thin discs.
- Align the round discs upright in a medium ceramic baking dish to form rows.
- Add the bay leaves sporadically in between the onions and potato.
- In a jug, add the cream, stock powder, dried oregano and fresh thyme and stir well. Pour the liquid over the potatoes and onions.
- Sprinkle the gruyere and parmesan cheese over the potatoes and onions and top it off with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until the potato is soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside. If the top of the bake starts to burn cover with tinfoil.
- Serve with a pinch of sea salt.