Mini savoury danishes three ways
This recipe is your new go-to during party season when you're asked to bring some "nibbles". Don't be put off by the length of the recipe, it's really 3-recipes-in-1... you can choose to fill these super quick and easy danishes with one of the suggested variations or practically anything you have in the fridge!
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes | Serves: 48
3 sheets butter puff pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten with
1 tablespoon milk
Feta and black olive
100g feta, crumbled
2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
2 tablespoons finely chopped black olives
Smoked ham, gruyere and asparagus
100g gruyere or strong cheddar cheese, cut into 16 batons
100g prosciutto, cut inot 16 strips
8 mini asparagus spears, trimmed and cut in half
Fig, caramelised onion and brie
½ onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 small figs, cut into 16 wedges
100g brie, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Cut each sheet of pastry into 16 even squares. Allocate each pastry sheet to a filling.
- Fill as per instructions below.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
For feta and olive filling
- Combine all ingredients. Spoon filling diagonally across each square and fold over opposite corners to overlap and seal like a Danish.
For prosciutto, gruyere and asparagus filling
- Place a stick of cheese diagonally across each square and top with a stick of asparagus and a strip of prosciutto. Fold over opposite corners to overlap and seal like a Danish.
For fig, brie and caramelised onion
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat and add butter and onions. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes or until transulent. Add sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes or until caramelised. Remove from heat and cool. Spoon onion diagonally across each square of pastry. Top with wedge of brie and fig. Fold over opposite corners to overlap and seal like a Danish.