Three mind blowing alternatives to hot chocolate
Indulging in sweet, warm drinks is one of the best things about winter. There is just something so cozy about hot-chocolate-memories, you really can’t beat it. But we thought that we would dream up some new flavours this season because it’s always nice to have some alternatives.
The first is inspired by a childhood favourite of ours, the Coconut Rough – but it’s sugar-free so perfect for just before bed. New York chef Christina Tosi and her cereal milk soft serve inspired the second recipe. And the last is a true sweet indulgence, enjoy.
Sugar-free coconut hot chocolate
*Pictured above: *Vue Grid Highball from Myer, Kmart Blue Espresso cups
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk
- Cacao to taste (we used about two teaspoons)
- Rice malt syrup to taste (we used a tablespoon)
- Whipped cream to top it
- A pinch of cacao nibs
- A pinch of coconut flakes.
- Heat up your coconut milk in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Add the cacao and rice malt syrup until you have the desired flavour.
- Top with homemade whipped cream and sprinkle on the cacao nibs and coconut flakes.
- If you want a lactose free option just leave off the whipped cream.
Hot cereal milk
Pictured above: Kmart milk bottle
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of hundreds and thousands
- In a jug, soak your Cornflakes in the milk for 20 minutes.
- Pour it all through a strainer and make sure to squeeze out all the milk.
- Throw out the Cornflakes and heat up your cereal milk in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Dip the top of your milk bottle in honey then the hundreds and thousands.
- Sweeten your cereal milk with honey then pour it into the bottle.
Hot white strawberry chocolate
Pictured above: Typo Strawberry mug, Kmart metal basket
- 1 cup of milk
- 4 few squares of good quality white chocolate
- Strawberry milk flavouring
- Whipped cream
- Lollies (optional)
- Mini marshmallows
- Heat up your milk in the microwave or stovetop.
- Add one heaped teaspoon of strawberry milk flavouring and your white chocolate.
- Stir until combined and warm and pop in the marshmallows.
- Pour it into a mug and top it with homemade whipped cream and lollies.
Explore more from Barbara O'Reilly on her Instagram @patchworkcactus