Countdown's Ginger Crunch
You'll find all the ingredients needed to make this sweet ginger treat at your local Countdown Enjoy this signature kiwi slice that is sure to bring back many memories.
Cooking time: 20mins
- 125 g Butter + 75g for Icing
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Edmonds Standard Flour
- 1 tsp Edmonds Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger + 3 tsp for Icing
- 3/4 cup Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- Optional: crystallised ginger to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm sponge roll tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder and ginger together. Mix into creamed mixture.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board. Knead well. Press dough into prepared tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light brown.
- While the base is cooking make the icing: in a small saucepan combine butter, icing sugar, golden syrup and ginger. Heat until butter is melted, stirring constantly.
- Pour hot Ginger Icing over the base while hot and cut into squares before it gets cold. Optional: add crystallised ginger