Recipe: Extra creamy hummus
'The creamiest hummus you’ll ever have, made using just a few basic ingredients! After a trip to the Middle-East, I learnt how to make extremely silky hummus in the comfort of my own home. The special trick is to cook the chickpeas with baking soda until they’re extremely soft! You won’t ever have to buy hummus again with this trick. I also added Birch & Waite Golden Goddess Dressing & Sauce to the hummus which has lemon juice and tahini in it! It’s amazing on anything savoury.' Rainbow Nourishments.
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained (see note)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼- ½ cup Golden Goddess Dressing & Sauce, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, to taste
- 2 tsp cumin
- Olive oil (optional)
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Pomegranate arils, roasted chickpeas, sugar snap peas, baby cucumbers, edible flowers, cherry tomatoes, rainbow beetroot, pine nuts, dukkah
- Optional: Bring a medium pot of water to the boil. Add the chickpeas and the baking soda. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the chickpeas are very soft and falling apart.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas well. Add the chickpeas and rest of the ingredients to a high-powered blender. Blend until as smooth as possible. Add extra dressing, olive oil or even iced water to thin out the hummus, as desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the hummus into a serving dish. Decorate with desired toppings and serve!
Note: you may use dried chickpeas if you soak them in water the night before and cook them until they’re extremely soft.