Recipe: Red Onion, Halloumi and Zucchini Skewers
Red Onion, Halloumi and Zucchini Skewers Recipe created by Lisa Holmen for Australian Onions.
These flavours will take your taste buds on a trip to the Mediterranean. An ultra easy, ultra simple vegetarian friendly recipe, simply toss over a BBQ grill for a few minutes for zesty bitefulls that will impress a crowd.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Makes 6 skewers
250g halloumi, cubed
• 1 zucchini, sliced
• 1 red/yellow capsicum, deseeded and thickly sliced
• 1 red onion, cut into wedges
• 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 lemon, juiced
• 2 tsp Djon mustard
• 1 tsp honey
Charred lemon slices to serve.
- Place halloumi, zucchini, capsicum and red onion on skewers. If using wooden skewers make sure the skewers are soaked in water prior to cooking otherwise they may burn.
- To make the lemon vinaigrette place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well.
- Preheat barbeque grill on medium heat. Brush skewers with some of the lemon vinaigrette, making sure to coat each side. Cook the skewers for 4 – 5 minutes until golden, making sure they are turned frequently so they are cooked evenly.
- Serve the skewers immediately with the remaining vinaigrette and charred lemon slices.