Recipe created by Lisa Holmen for Australian Onions.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Crispy golden goodness, these onion and sweet potato hash browns are guaranteed to become a lunchbox favourite! Opt to air-fry these for a healthy twist.
• 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
• 1 brown onion, peeled and diced
• 1 tbsp plain flour
• Pinch of smoked paprika or cayenne pepper
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper to season
To serve – caramelised onion or chives and steamed baby spinach.
- Place the grated sweet potato in a large colander and give it a good soak to get the starch out of it.
- Drain out any excess moisture using a cloth so the sweet potato is very dry. Too much water in the mixture will make the hash browns soggy.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the onion, flour, salt and pepper and paprika. Mix well and add more flour if required.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Scoop heaped tablespoons of the mixture in the pan and gently flatten with a spatula.
- Cook the hash browns until golden and crispy, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Serve hash browns with extra caramelised onions, chopped chives and steamed baby spinach.